In November, 2018 the New England Journal of Medicine released a study that attempted to debunk the plethora of other studies that have shown the effectiveness of Fish oil and Vitamin D3 supplementation.1,2 In hopes to alleviate the conflicting data that is usually shared with the public, this article is to help you interpret the actual data from the study.
There is a very thorough analysis3 found on the website of Innate Choice. If you want more detailed info, I encourage you to check out that link. Here are just some highlights.
First, by excluding vital data that was found, they concluded that supplementing with ethyl ester, gel cap fish oil (only 1 gram) and vitamin D3, (only 2000 IUs) was not beneficial in reducing cancer, heart disease or stroke. However, if all the data that was collected was included in the paper the results showed quite differently.
- There was a 25% reduction in cancer deaths
- A 28% reduced risk of heart attack
- A 50% reduced risk of fatal heart attack
- A 22% reduced rate of angioplasty procedures
My question to you is: Would it have been valuable to include all the data so that you and I have all the correct information?
Second, the study concluded that there was no reduction in incidence of stroke. The reason, according to the evidence, is that ethyl ester fish oil gel caps have been chemically altered and are less bio-available to the body and they contain NO DPA. This is removed in processing. DPA is one of the essential fatty acids that studies have shown to reduce the risk of stroke.
Innate Choice Vitamin A&D Fish Oil is unlike any other fish oil on the market. First, it is a natural triglyceride, the form that our body absorbs because we were genetically designed to eat real fish. Second, naturally occurring Vitamin A and D have not been removed in processing. They also happen to be in naturally, synergistic amounts because that is the way Nature made them. This allows for optimal absorption.
You now have choices. You could not supplement at all and increase your risk of cancer, heart attack and stroke. You could supplement with an insufficient dosage of gel cap fish oil and reduce your risk of heart attack and cancer but not stroke. Or you can supplement with Innate Choice Vitamin A&D fish oil and become completely sufficient in the essential nutrients required to reduce cancer, heart attack, fatal heart attacks, angioplasties AND Stroke. Of course, you also get all the other benefits of sufficiency too. So what kind of fish oil will you take?
1. Supplementation with vitamin D did not result in a lower incidence of invasive cancer or cardiovascular events than placebo.” (Manson. J.E. et al. Vitamin D Supplements and Prevention of Cancer and Cardiovascular Disease. NEJM November 10, 2018 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa180994
2. Supplementation with n−3 fatty acids did not result in a lower incidence of major cardiovascular events or cancer than placebo.”(Manson, J.E. et al. Marine n−3 Fatty Acids and Prevention of Cardiovascular Disease and Cancer. November 10, 2018 DOI: 10.1056/NEJMoa1811403